Author Topic: [Request] NVEnc support in the future?  (Read 30350 times)

Tup3x

• Noob
Re: [Request] NVEnc support in the future?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:05 pm »
You could use OBS ( https://obsproject.com/ ) for this.

Supports x264, supports NVEnc, supports quicksync, supports mp4 container and aac audio.

So if you so highly want this - maybe this is an alternative for you.
I know that software. There's a reason why I don't use it. Because I already have DxTory that does it all. NVENC support would be helpful in certain situations. Are you stupid enough to record hours long sessions with lossless codec? Massive waste of CPU cycles and HDD space when quality wouldn't be important in that case.
Intel Core i7-3770K & Thermalright True Spirit | ASUS P8Z77-V | Corsair AX760 | Define R4 | 4x4GB G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING ACX 3.0 Edition | Creative Sound Blaster Zx | Sennheiser HD 595 | Samsung 830 128GB & 2x Samsung F3 1TB & Toshiba 3TB | Windows 10 Pro x64

RobiePAX

• Monster
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
Are you stupid enough to record hours long sessions with lossless codec?
<<< Guilty as charged.

De-M-oN

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 02:02:04 am »
lossy coding takes actually by far more cpu.

Are you stupid enough to record hours long sessions with lossless codec?
Why I'm stupid when I record lossless and make a more efficient lossy coding after my recording which results in smaller filesize with more quality?
HDD Space - just temporary. As soon as I've encoded the lossless video, I can delete the lossless one. And with better efficient coded lossy files with smaller filesize for same quality I can store more files.

RobiePAX

• Monster
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 03:03:20 am »
Why I'm stupid when I record lossless and make a more efficient lossy coding after my recording which results in smaller filesize with more quality?

He possibly is referring to low budget PCs. Personally I have purchased a fast 2TB Hard Drive when I still used Fraps, so I can record over 16 hours of Lossless footages which as you have mentioned is not a bother if you remove the original footage after you finish your encoding of the project. However I see why it could be a problem for people who can't afford fast high capacity Hard Drive.

ShavedApe

• Noob
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 12:49:34 am »
I too would like to add my support to this thread. It seems to be getting derailed a little by the codec police so I thought I would try and get it back on track.

Choice of codec in dxtory is one of its greatest selling points and features and the best part is that it is personal choice! lets keep that way shall we instead of being insulted if you choose one someone doesn't like.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:41:54 am by ShavedApe »

Line40

• Noob
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »
I'd like to second this request too.

I think with the release of the high end Maxwell cards, and the need to really be able to do some 4k recording, it's high time for Dxtory to start suppporting a hardware codec that takes some burden off the CPU and hard disk, like NVENC, or Quicksync.
Both do a decent job in other software (Shadowplay, Afterburner, Bandicam), but those all are lacking in one respect or the other, so it would be nice to have the only software that does everything right (Dxtory of course), to fill that one functionality gap.

Cheers

Line40

De-M-oN

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 05:06:19 am »
hell.. buy a fast hard disk and use a good lossless codec like magicYUV and your fps wont go down with cpu either. --- and you dont need to record lossy.

It can be sooo simple ...

Line40

• Noob
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 05:23:24 am »
hell.. buy a fast hard disk and use a good lossless codec like magicYUV and your fps wont go down with cpu either. --- and you dont need to record lossy.

It can be sooo simple ...

Do you actually record in 4k using that setup, or is that just a guess? Because the fps drop from magicYUV is just about the same as with utvideo in my experience.

ShavedApe

• Noob
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 01:49:31 am »
Would be nice to have some form of official acknowledgement on this, its been available for a while now and while there are alternatives out there I still like dxtory and since I paid for it and it has all the features I want except this one I would like to stick with it.

That is despite recording to SSD's and having GTX780 TI OC and 4790k Overclocked just incase you are wondering Demon but please don't reply i'm not interested in the slightest in anything you have to say i'm perfectly happy with my choices thank you.

De-M-oN

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 01:57:54 am »
That is despite recording to SSD's and having GTX780 TI OC and 4790k Overclocked

What a bullshit.

I have 2 harddisks set to RAID 0 and a i7 3770k and a gtx 680 and can record with it in 2560x1600, 60fps without any drop or if a more cpu intensive game a slight drop.

Recording lossy kills efficiency for later filters you use in video editors (if you use them) and for later encoder it is bad as well - audio and video - if the source material is already lossy. If you upload it to youtube you have the 3rd lossy encode. Result is a garbage blocky image on youtube. Far more than necessary. But if you're still happy with such a solution - okay.. but hard to believe that this does satisfy you.

POOP

• Noob
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 07:18:20 am »
I originally asked because I do not care about the quality of the video so much as it's all going on youtube anyway.
I don't use DXtory anymore as Shadowplay is great for recording in general (rarely use manual record, just shadow), however lots of games it will not hook to but DXtory will, so it'd be nice to have that as a backup.

I have a 3930k OC'd to 4.3GHz, but I would still prefer to use 1%~ of my GPU power to encode.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:20:07 am by POOP »

De-M-oN

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 07:30:04 am »
I originally asked because I do not care about the quality of the video so much as it's all going on youtube anyway.

And? Youtube quality isnt the best, yes. But you can do a lot by yourself to maintain it on a good level. Using lossy recording method and re-encode that and let youtube do the third re-encode is definitely the wrong direction to begin with .. :P

astrix_au

• Noob
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:10 pm »
You can add AMD VCE support here > https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw but it's limited to 1080p.

I found Motion JPEG to give amazing quality for file size, 1440p 60fps I recorded at 175Mbps and it looked amazing. I was recording BF4 at 1440p 120hz and 135% resolution scale. I was able to record on a 7200 rpm drive! Below is a screenshot using the Windows print screen button on a paused video I recorded in Bandicam using Motion MJPEG at 170Mbps.

This image looks amazing in the video with the effects, particles and smoke this images doesn't do it justice! Who needs lagarith and it's crazy video sizes, this was recoded with Quality 70 at 170Mbps quality 100 is 250Mbps! I'm pretty sure that can be recorded on a 7200rpm HD! Not sure if screen print is the best way to show it but it looks the same. It's the Adobe, vegas and premier preset in bandicam.

Bandicam has SDK's available for games but you could ask them if you can use their Motion JPEG codec or get your own, I would love for you guys to add it to DXtory!

Below are the BF4 settings I used to record the video, but it's not perfect as there is some lag but that is DX11, Mantle is the perfect thing, it's will remove the lag and that will be amazing!! My experience with mantle so far it records with no input lag!
http://f.cl.ly/items/040h1u16071X171e3Q0t/ScreenshotWin32-0057.png

Below is a video I uploaded to youtube, I used the settings above, imported it to Adobe Premier pro then I exported the video to 9.2Mbps as that is what youtube will convert 1440p to anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLsKm3CuyDU

DXTory dev can get access to Mantle SDK here > http://developer.amd.com/mantle/ Mantle will be the future of high performance recording!!! :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:15:28 pm by astrix_au »

De-M-oN

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 09:30:35 pm »
then I exported the video to 9.2Mbps as that is what youtube will convert 1440p to anyway.

Thats wrong as well.

The better the input the better the output.

This misassumption using the same bitrate gives the same re-encode - its so just wrong !

Best example is audio : Compress WAV to MP3 160 kbit compared to compress MP3 160 kbit to mp3 160 kbit - which will sound better? Of course the wav source <.<

You can record perfectly fine lossless video on a HDD as well.

Whats your goddamn problem with filesizes? Are HDDs that expensive in other countries than germany? Theyre cheap as hell here. And I cant believe thats else for you
So why you all care so damn much about the filesizes o.O

And rather encode with 10bit x264 instead of that bad NLE encoders with its ~3 settings, only mainconcept, only bitratefixed encoding and so on..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:32:57 pm by De-M-oN »

mouse

• Noob
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »
Registered an account just to show my interest in this feature.
I'd really like to see nvenc support in DXTory.